While in previous entries of this series I mentioned how the implementation is more important than the idea, no human endeavor in this world happens without someone first having a brainwave. Look around, how many things that we take for granted were some bright sparks moment of inspiration (often followed by years of perspiration).
Making a success in business is hard. As well as developing marketable ideas, we also have to come up with ideas that continue to inspire us months or years after we decide to take the leap. This is why many of the successes we know about were not entirely motivated by cash. Most of the time the people involved actually believed in what they were doing.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t have earning money as a motivation, but that your vision has to be at least as powerful.
On the road to success there will be many cynics, including friends and family, who will tell you to get a real job, that you can not possibly succeed, who are you to be trying this, etc. Holding your vision firmly in your mind and choosing to not be detracted will be critical.
What are you going to do?
You will likely have the choice of several possible paths that you can take right now. Some might be grand plans, others might be your first steps towards building an investment war chest. Here are just a few of the short to medium term things I am doing:
One way of working out which you ought to focus on is to listen to your gut:
- Which ides excite you, energize you?
- Which seem like they might earn you money but you don’t care to work on them?
- When you describe your plans to someone else, which do you talk about with enthusiasm and which do you find yourself mumbling or making excuses for?
- Do you have ideas you would be happy to leave to your kids?
- What could you see yourself leaping out of bed to do?
I have several ideas I am working on right now and I have gone through this same process. Now I am left with the plans that I both think have the best chance of success, create the most benefit to customers and I think will be the most enjoyable to create.
Build the Vision
Refine your vision from being just a hazy goal to being a fully detailed plan of exactly what the finished result will be like.
See it, hear it, feel it.
What will it look like? What will it work like? What will people say about it? Go through the whole story from someone first hearing about it all the way through to telling their friends how great it is.
The more detailed a picture you can paint, the more rich the scenario you work out, the more it will speak to you and others and energize your work.
Once you have this knowledge your communication with team members and such will be so much more enthusiastic and persuasive. Sharing your vision is extremely important, especially if you need to persuade skilled people or investors to help you out! Of course down the line you might also have to communicate your offer to customers too.
Create Your Vision then Execute!
Do you have a clear idea yet as to what you are going to do? If not, take some time. If you do, then what are you waiting for? 🙂
Table of contents for Making Real Money
- Making Real Money Online: What Type of Earner Are You?
- Making Real Money Online: Spending to Earn
- Making Real Money Online: Expanding Your Operations
- Making Real Money Online: Making it Happen
- Making Real Money Online: Confidence and Taking the Risk
- Making Real Money Online: Your Vision
- Making Real Money Online: What is Wealth?