I was discussing blogging with a couple of marketers the other day and the inevitable “aren’t blogs online diaries” comment surfaced. While I patiently explained the different types of blogs to those guys I realised many of us probably have some sort of cross-over between types and rarely consider what our dominant blogging style is. Then I thought, I could have a poll!
Before you answer the poll, here are the types of blogger from my point of view, feel free to disagree in the comments
- Authority Blogger – Of course I am going to put this one first! Authority Bloggers blog to build a profile, credibility, loyalty, demonstrate and share expertise.
- Relationship Blogger – They blog to make contacts and community. Probably the best known Relationship Blogger is Liz. Although I would also say she is an Authority Blogger too
- Pro Blogger – Darren is THE Pro Blogger. Pro Bloggers blog for direct income, such as Adsense or working for a blog network.
- Diarist / Journal – Possibly the most famous type of blogger, diarists use blogs as an online diary and just want to share their thoughts and life events.
- Fan/Hobby – Hobby bloggers write about their fascinations, get a kick out of sharing with like-minded people and they need no more reward.
- Random – This would explain my personal blog, random bloggers just post cool stuff they find or whatever random thoughts are on their minds at that point. They don’t post for any conscious reason, just because they can.
- Business / Corporate – You blog for your company, either posting news, for public relations or to generate leads.
- Citizen Journalist – While I am not a fan of this label, it is what most people use (in my mind you are a journalist or not, the citizen tag is not necessary). You scoop the news and write about it.
Have I missed any?