A coaching client asked this doozy of a question and I just can’t decide what the answer is, particularly from an SEO perspective.
Should your blog be integrated, eg. subdirectory, on a subdomain, eg. blog.domain.com or seperate domain, as I have chrisg.com (blog) and omiq.com (website)?
Obviously there are advantages to both.
Subdomain and seperate domains have the following benefits
- You do not have to use the same technologies
- The topic can be different to your main site
- No integration necessary if you don’t want or find it difficult
- Links from the blog to the main website may help rankings in main site
I chose this route because my business website is all about sales for my business, the blog has a different tone and is based on my own personality.
Integrating would have the advantages of
- Links in are links to your combined domain, and blogs do attract lots of lovely links
- Navigating between blog and site makes sense
- To find the main site you could edit the URL quite simply eg. domain.com/blog becomes domain.com/
- If the blog and site are on the same subject then search engines will take note of the domains “theme”.
- Less maintenance once set up, just one site to backup and housekeep
- Modern blog software such as WordPress can handle all your CMS needs
Unless someone has a convincing argument I have to say “it depends” 🙂
What is your take? Which option do you think is best?