It might seem a strange question to ask. Especially coming from a blogger.
But really, do you know where your audience hangs out?
Yesterday I had two emails in reaction to my business blogging series where people were having problems that could be solved much more easily if they did a small amount of market research. One lady was wondering why she got traffic and no sales, the other chap wanted to boost his readership.
Both issues could well be a problem of finding the right audience and providing them the right content.
I have mentioned the importance of knowing your audience and creating pen portraits before but right now, and especially if you are in business, it is even more important that you understand this stuff.
When you have found them then you need to find out what they really need.
- They don’t only read your blog. Which other blogs and sites do they read?
- Would they belong to lists, forums and discussion groups?
- Are they members of any clubs, committees, networking events or societies?
- Which social media sites are they most likely to use?
- Do they prefer phone or IM? Or is Twitter a better way to reach them?
- Is print media their preference, do they listen to audio books? Are they DVD buyers or renters? Do they Tivo?
The more you know about your prospect, the more successful you will be. Get finding the answers now 🙂